Name : Sandy
UK
Kudos : 85
Mood : Content
Birthday : 1st Nov
Scorpio Rat

PostFood for Thought

In The Bible Jesus says, and I quote -

But I tell you, Do not swear at all: either by heaven, for it is God's throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King.  And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black.  Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes' and your 'No' be 'No; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.

Matthew: 5 - 34/37

So question:  Why do they ask us to swear on a Bible when giving testimony in court? - as in "I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth".

Although I believe the oath is now taken as....

"I swear that the evidence that I shall give, shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God".
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://twitter.com/zandranna http://www.zandranna.com/u1wall
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Food for Thought :: Comments

Re: Food for Thought
Post on 16/03/17, 09:55 pm by Spherical
Beats me Sandy and personally I have always found it hypocritical that one had to swear on the Bible but hey that's just me I guess lol.
Post on 16/03/17, 10:12 pm by Zandranna
Well, don't forget that when official courts were first ever set up 99% or more of the population in our western countries were Christians, and they truely believed that if you swore on the Bible and lied, you would go to hell.

So I can see where it all came from.  But.............  If they had read their Bible they would have seen that to swear on the Bible was against the teachings of Christ.  But like most religious fanatics, they haven't actually read their Holy Book/s.  They have relied on it being taught to them as children.

Or they have recited passages after being taught them but don't actually understand the meanings.
Post on 16/03/17, 10:17 pm by Spherical
Oh I can see where it came from .. I just always found it hypocritical in the sense of how a lot of those Christians behaved in the first place; including the justice systems and the people who enforced that.
Post on 16/03/17, 11:40 pm by Zandranna
Oh yeah.  They were awful and not at all Christian in their hearts or minds.

I'm not sure many Christians nowadays even actually live by the word of Christ even though they call themselves Christian.

And anyway, who are the real Christians?  There are so many off shoots of Christianity that none of them are really living the word of Christ.

Except the Born Again Christians actually.  In the Bible it was prophesied that one had to be born again to enter Heaven.  That John the Baptist would come along and Baptise people with water but then the Christ would come after and Baptise with the Holy Spirit, which according to the Bible he did, and you would be born again.

To be Baptised by the Holy Spirit one has to invite Jesus fully into their lives.  Believe in Him, His word and to live His word.  That's exactly what Born Again Christian have done and do and this is what the very early Christians did after the crucifixion.

So when you think of it, Born Again Christians are the only true Christians.
Post on 17/03/17, 12:22 am by Spherical
Yes I know all about Born Again Christians ... and could write a book about their approach to me lol but I won't go into that here.

With all respect to those that have chosen this and theirs or any other beliefs ... I just don't see why they always have to push so hard and bordering on harassment to try and convince someone that their belief is the only good one!

Just be a good, considerate, loving and caring person daily; to yourself and others!
Post on 17/03/17, 01:06 am by Zandranna
I totally agree with you there.

In fact although Jesus said go out and spread the word, he also said to only teach those that have invited you.  "So that's another thing that many Christians don't follow.  They only read and hear what they want to read and hear.

Funnily enough it's those that we consider too fervent or crazy, that preach in the street on their soap boxes, that are trying to spread the word as it says it should be spread.

Christians aren't supposed to knock on doors or corner you when they know you don't want to listen.  You can preach in the streets because only those that want to hear will stop and listen to you.  Everyone else can just walk away.

I wish I could remember where that verse is in The Bible.  If I could find it then it would be a great verse to quote when they come knocking at the door.  I must look it up for future reference.

Food for Thought

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Zan's Zone :: Blogging It :: Grumpy Marebag-
Reply to topicJump to:  

Advertising Us & Our Websites

The Best of Top 100s