Affiliates at a Glance

(Replaces the Marquee)

Latest Activity

Inaine daily personal tweeting. To follow my more serious tweets go to
@SandyYatesUK
Whatcha Up To?

This Week’s Video
Facts
Scientists say that a star goes super nova in our galaxy roughly every 26 years. They can see how many have gone super nova by the remnants left. They have counted the past super novas and have found there have been approximately 250 in the life of our galaxy. 26 years x 250 = 6,500 years - This is the approximate age of the Earth as written in the Bible.

Share | 

February Chat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Spherical
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

Name : Martha
AU
Kudos : 105
Mood : Amused
Birthday : 3rd March
Pisces Ox

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   17/02/17, 04:17 pm

Natasja is like that to Sandy, in regards to personal space. She will let a few very close friends hug her and her boyfriend but that's about it.

Aww Becky that's a tough one and one of my friends is like that. When I go to give her a hug I always have to remind myself not to hug tight or for long.

I've had a relaxing evening so now checking up on the boards here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://spherical.forumotion.com http://sphericals.weebly.com
Whisper
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

UK
Kudos : 27
Mood : Restless
Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   18/02/17, 11:36 am

Funny I didn't have you tagged as lacking in confidence Becky. Just goes to show how wrong we can be going solely by someone's online persona. Being self-conscious can be a nightmare in social situations. Try imagining them really ugly with lots of warts or something. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spherical
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

AU
Pisces Ox

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   19/02/17, 02:38 am

Hahaha Wendy that's a good one Laughing

I guess mine is so good because as a young kid I used to play in musicals at school.

Later when my parents decided to have me join the church choir because I couldn't keep my mouth shut during the session lol; we used to sing in front of the church a lot.

Then as I got older we all joined the local scene in which we all performed on stage for 2 nights. This was a local village thing where the whole village would join in and do acts and it was hilarious. You where not allowed to tell anyone, other then the ones in your group, what you where performing.
My whole family would do this and to keep things a secret when there are 7 in the house was at times really hard, but we did it!

Going to high school I was quickly chosen to be the class's representative so I ended up in school  meetings, representing the students. Did an extented 2 years before starting my nursing and in those 2 years I spend 1 year doing work/study experience and again I was chosen to be the representative and ended up in meetings etc.

Then in my nursing years I became the student rep and fought for what we wanted/needed within the study system.

I know this has helped me a lot in becoming who I am today and having parents that showed the way was just priceless to say the least! Smile
Save
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

Name : Sandy
UK
Kudos : 76
Mood : Content
Birthday : 1st Nov
Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   19/02/17, 09:59 am

I used to be very shy as a child and missed out on a lot, such as going to children's parties because I couldn't bear to be among strangers.

Then when I was a teen I thought, "I bet everyone feels like me, which means they are too busy worrying about themselves to look at me" - It wasn't long after that that I learned to be quite gregarious and try to put everyone else at ease. I totally changed and went the opposite way.

I really must change my bedding today and then wash it. No excuses! Apart from that it's a dog walk and then back on the computer learning and playing with the innards of this board.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://twitter.com/zandranna http://www.zandranna.com/u1wall Online
Whisper
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

UK
Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   19/02/17, 11:14 am

That's definitely a good grounding Martha. Your parents did a great job.

That's quite a turn around Sandy. I'm not shy so much as I don't like people much. lol I grew up in a big family where peace and quiet were at a premium. It means I can get on well with all sorts of people because we were all different characters and had to learn to compromise or we'd have killed each other. On the other hand it makes me value silence a lot.

I think the only people I can't socialize well with are snobs. I can put on airs and graces if I choose to but I don't choose too. Patronizing people just put my hackles up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK
Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   19/02/17, 11:26 am

Funnily enough it was because of such a large noisy family (all were great talkers) that I sank into the background and didn't speak up.  That and the fact that when I was very young we were at my Gran Vennard house every day and children were treated very Victorian.  As in we had to either be out playing or sitting very quietly in a corner.  It wasn't like that of course at home.

So I never really learnt to hold my own, but learnt to let everyone else talk and just listen.

At Gran's, children were not only meant to not be seen but if we were there for dinner, children were not allowed roast potatoes only boiled and we were never allowed a hot drink.  Gran and the Aunts were stunned when I first ever asked if I could have a cup of tea, and I was told no.  So my Mother poured some of hers into her saucer and let me have that.  She then got moaned at for "being stupid and giving me some". It was agony not being able to have a cup of tea because I was addicted to it even then. We were given weak tea in our bottles as babies.

It's funny the things that one remembers when ones mind is jogged.

The other thing is that I am opposite from you Wendy is because I grew up with lots of people and noise I now miss that.

I agree about the snobs.  I always make sure that I am "me" at all times.  It doesn't stop me mixing with them though.  Throughout my life I have had to mix with all sorts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://twitter.com/zandranna http://www.zandranna.com/u1wall Online
Spherical
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

AU
Pisces Ox

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   19/02/17, 04:31 pm

Oh I don't like snobs either Wendy. I try and not mix with them Sandy as they get my hackles up big time.
Back to top Go down
Whisper
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

UK
Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   20/02/17, 07:58 am

I had to mix with them at work many moons ago but I try and avoid them these days. I don't have to keep my mouth shut now so I can imagine some of the things I'd say if I met them now. lol

I can see how the big family could work either way Sandy. I still enjoy get togethers with them but most of the time I value my peace and quiet.

My gran was the same about children. Funny ideas about what was and wasn't suitable for them. Even at home though my dad was very strict about when we were allowed to speak. The table was for eating not talking unless you were spoken to in which case you could answer. The complete opposite of how I see a family dinner now. To me it's a time for catching up on everyone's day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK
Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   20/02/17, 02:58 pm

If it hadn't been that I was representing my place of work I think I could possibly have said more too Wendy, lol.

It depended on Mum's mood if we could talk at the table. If we kept it low then that was ok, but if we became animated then it was "Don't talk at the table".

Like you I believe that it's important for children to grow up learning to converse at the table. It's all part of learning good social skills.

My Niece's family sit down to eat and there is never what one would call real conversation. They just all shovel their food down their throat as quickly as possible. I don't enjoy going out to dinner with them on any one of their birthdays because it's such a quick affair. No conversation, just eating as quick as possible and then the moment the last mouthful has gone it's going home time. No taking time over another drink or a coffee etc., or chatting after the meal. They might just as well go to McDonalds and eat in.

For us (my girls and I) going out for dinner is an evening out. A booked table is for the whole evening.

I'm not long back from a walk into town. I so very much enjoyed it. Lovely spring type day. I even had to take my coat off and carry it, it was so warm. I only had a couple of things to pick up for Sarah and Jess ( a passport renewal form and a couple of large bubble envelopes) along with taking the opportunity while there to go into the bank and give them this address. The bank has been the only business that I never changed my address with all these months.

I gave myself a rest halfway round by dropping into a cafe and having a sandwich and cuppa. It was also lunch time.

It's so nice to be getting back my independence. It's been hell relying on others so much to take me anywhere. The next thing I have to try is going somewhere by bus again. Any bus journey from here is a long one so I have to make sure my bladder can take that long.

I think I'm also fit enough now to get on my trike again. I really can't wait to get out and about on that. I need to get the front brakes changed on that first though. Although I'm wondering if cycling might irritate the urethra and bladder more with this sodding stent. I have to admit that nearly 2 hours of walking today has made it rather uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
Spherical
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

AU
Pisces Ox

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   20/02/17, 09:36 pm

We were always allowed to talk at the table and that was when we all would catch up on each others activities. The only thing we were not allowed to do was complaining about the food. Mum cooked it so you ate it or else ... lol.

Woohoo well done Sandy Smile Just don't go and overdo it now!

I've not long woken up so having my first coffee of the day and browsing these boards.
Back to top Go down
Whisper
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

UK
Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   21/02/17, 09:45 am

Good to hear you got out and about Sandy. We got terrible weather here. Heavy rain but I read it was up to 17C further south with sunshine. Possibly hold off a bit longer on the cycling if walking affected you. Then again that was a fair bit of walking so maybe try a short ride on the trike once the brakes are done.

I can't see the point in going out for a meal if you're just going to shovel the food in and go home. Might as well get a takeaway and stay home.

Did you ever get the threat of getting the food back for breakfast Martha? lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spherical
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

AU
Pisces Ox

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   21/02/17, 06:15 pm

Oh yes I did Wendy and have had many cold left over dinners for breakfast when I was little as I didn't like brussels sprouts. Now I love them Smile

We had a cool-ish day here today and I spend it doing diddly squat hahahaha.
Back to top Go down
Whisper
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

UK
Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   22/02/17, 09:31 am

I used to hide sprouts and flush them down the loo later. lol I still hate them.

Very windy and wet last night and the forecast is for severe gales, turning wintry and possible snow although that may not get this low.

Had to have a puncture fixed yesterday which was a pain. I'm blaming my brother since I got it coming home from his place. Between the car tax, the vac dying and this I think February is out to get me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK
Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   22/02/17, 10:47 am

When we were kids Mum used to chopped the sprouts up on our plate and add vinegar to them. I loved them and still do. I still can only eat them with vinegar though. We also added vinegar to our greens and cabbage. Even in restaurants I always ask for vinegar if I have cabbage.

Oh heck Wendy you aren't having much luck are you.

The weather is back as it was again. Miserable and dull. We haven't got the gales down here yet that they have promised. Who knows, they might miss us altogether. Fingers crossed on that one.

That walk I had the day before yesterday sort of did me up like a kipper. All day yesterday my insides were aching like hell, and again this morning. I think 2 hours was just a little bit too long for the first time out walking. So I'm resting again today.
Back to top Go down
GTAGirl
Amethyst Member
Amethyst Member

Name : Anne
CA
Kudos : 1
Mood : Introspective
Birthday : September 13
Virgo Horse

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   22/02/17, 04:54 pm

Good Morning Folks...I've read back through this thread to see what everyone has been chatting about. It's so interesting to see the ebb and flow of topics as you all have posted and replied about one thing and added on something new and that then has become the main topic and so on!

I'm a shy person but will eventually open up as I become more comfortable with someone. I have always had trouble speaking up and defending myself verbally, though once I was peri menopausal I found I was able to start to do these things, in situations where I wasn't previously able to. 

I'm long past menopause now and over these years I've seen myself more confident in holding my own...but there are still times when I just know I cannot speak up. Partly this is due...all my life...to my mind numbing and not being able to put thoughts together coherently. Of course, I beat myself up over this. And afterwards I can think of things that I should have said. *groan*

It's a foggy day here in my part of the world...chilly too though we're sitting at +5 C...mind you, we now have a bit of a wind chill...feeling like +3 (C)...earlier this morning there was no wind chill at all...but still felt chilly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whisper
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

UK
Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   23/02/17, 10:02 am

I'm the opposite. I have a brain to mouth bypass and have to stop myself blurting out things I might regret later. I think having lots of brothers meant I learned early on that a comeback has to be instant. I got very good at it. Now I thank goodness for a keyboard that helps as a brake. lol

The weather is horrendous. Gusting to 60 mph already and pouring down.

I'm just waiting for a break to go and grab the wheely back in before it blows down the street. They've just emptied it. I think it might be wishful thinking on my part though and I'm just going to have to get drenched.

New vac hopefully arriving today. It's on the delivery van according to the tracking link.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whisper
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

UK
Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   24/02/17, 12:11 pm

It's actually sunny this morning and warming up after a chilly start. The wind has dropped and it's quite pleasant. Sadly it's not going to last and there are flood warnings for here tomorrow.

The vac did arrive late in the day. I assemble it and gave this room a quick once over. Seems OK apart from being made a cheap, nasty plastic like most of them are now. I couldn't be bothered messing with the tools yesterday but I expect they'll do the job. At least it's a bit lighter than my old one for lugging up the stairs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK
Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   24/02/17, 01:53 pm

Sunny here too Wendy.

I don't think our cordless ones are nearly as good as a corded one though Martha.  Like you my flat was small and as there was only me I didn't really need a tough sucker upper.  With all the comings and goings in this flat of Sarah's though it just wouldn't do.

I keep looking at this floor in my room and thinking "I really should get the hover out" but hey ho! there is always tomorrow.

The workman yesterday took from 11am until 7pm yesterday to install that bloody ladder.  It was a pain in the arse because I could hardly get to the kettle to make a cup of tea.  His tools were spread everywhere.  The loft entrance is in the kitchen you see.

Today I am just playing on this site in the innards, learning as I go.
Back to top Go down
Whisper
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

UK
Cancer Pig

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   25/02/17, 11:45 am

lol Must be the week for loft ladders being a pain. Mine nearly knocked me out.

Back to wet and very windy. Not as bad as a couple of days ago but unpleasant enough to keep me indoors. I'm running very late because Yuku has been a complete pain in the proverbial this morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arizona
Amethyst Member
Amethyst Member

Name : Becky
DE
Kudos : 8
Birthday : July 21
Cancer Dragon

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   25/02/17, 01:01 pm

Morning everyone Smile. I see some new faces arrived while I was gone!
Hope you are enjoying your time here at Sandy's. 

I've been going back and forth to the hospital all week. Friday when I got home Jue needed to go in as he had another stroke. He is home now and all "better". It was in the same spot as the big one he had years ago and at first the doctors could not see it in the MRT, but after they did a second one it showed up.  They don't really do much to you when it happens except watch you. 

I hope you all are doing well! I'm tired, lol. Think I will just kick back and watch some football today. FC Bayern and Dortmond are playing different matches at the same time. I will always choose Bayern first but I noticed on the Fox2go thingie I can turn on another game in a smaller window. Think I will try that out Smile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK
Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   25/02/17, 01:49 pm

Oh bloody hell Zona.  Poor Jue.  It's terrifying when it happens.  He must have been scared shitless as I was.  Thank goodness it wasn't a major one.

You and your football woman.  My nieces family, including her are well into it too.

I'm sick to death with Yuku now Wendy.  It hasn't worked properly since Tapatalk got involved.  Fine tuning the servers (as Chris tells us) my arse.  I've never heard of such a reason for all this time of getting error pages.
Back to top Go down
Spherical
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

AU
Pisces Ox

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   25/02/17, 02:19 pm

Oh no Becky! How scary for you both. So sorry to hear this but glad to hear Jue was well enough now to go home again.

Hopefully you can both relax over the weekend and know that I am thinking of you both and send lots of hugs across the bog pond! XXX
Back to top Go down
Spherical
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

AU
Pisces Ox

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   25/02/17, 02:21 pm

I grew up with 3 football playing brothers and watching them was what we did every weekend.
Even after all these years I still don't get the Aussie footie rules lol.

I've said a "few" choice words myself Wendy as I had trouble with Yuku too.
Back to top Go down
GTAGirl
Amethyst Member
Amethyst Member

Name : Anne
CA
Kudos : 1
Mood : Introspective
Birthday : September 13
Virgo Horse

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   25/02/17, 04:22 pm

(((Hugs))) Becky for you and your hubby. All illness is terrible but I especially abhor Strokes...lost my hubby in 2015 due to a Major Stroke that he just couldn't recover from. So glad that your Jue has been able to come home. Sending good thoughts, positive vibes to you both.

I'm not a sports fan, though my husband passed on his love of hockey to both our daughters...they understand what's going on...I have a general idea about it. As for Canadian and American football, Peter enjoyed both but I never got a handle on the game at all! Soccer/football should be a much bigger draw in the N. America than it is...considering how popular it is with girls and boys...leagues and all...but that just hasn't translated to the Pro level. I don't even know if the Pro teams get any TV coverage.

I do enjoy watching the Euro football (I'm including all countries that play it) during the Worlds...my youngest daughter always cheers for the Netherlands...has the flag for her car...and a Jersey, plus a Jersey for her 3-year old boy-dog, Theo. I don't know the rules...just know you have to get the ball in the other team's net and avoid getting carded.

It should be a warm day here...we're sitting at +5 C, slight wind chill of +1 (C) but it is really chilly! 

Hope everyone has a great day!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zucker7not
Topaz Member
Topaz Member

Name : GERU
CA
Mood : relaxed
Birthday : Febr.10th
Aquarius Ox

PostSubject: Re: February Chat   25/02/17, 10:37 pm

Sorry to hear about the bad bought with your hubby Becky , glad it was not heavy duty .
I am not a sports fan either but watched many a game beside my husband when married .

Overcast day here , rain coming for sure , forecast for the whole weekend .
Back to top Go down
View user profile

February Chat
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zan's Zone :: Now We're Buzzing - Members Only :: Coffee Break-
Jump to:  

Advertising Us & Our Websites

The Best of Top 100s