Also find Zan's Zone on

Affiliates

Affiliates at a Glance

(Replaces the Marquee)

Latest Tweet
Whatcha Doin’ Now
This Week’s Song
Facts

Shakespeare made up the name “Jessica” for his play Merchant of Venice.
Shakespeare probably based it on the biblical name ISCAH, which would have been spelled Jescha in his time.
Advertising Us & Our Websites

Reply to topicShare | 

I Pay Road Tax

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

Name : Sandy
UK
Kudos : 57
Mood : Happy
Birthday : 1st Nov
Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: I Pay Road Tax   30/04/17, 09:03 pm

This one always tickles me pink when the first thing British drivers say when complaining about cyclists is "I pay road tax and so should cyclists".

Here in the Britain no one pays road tax. Road tax was abolished in 1937. But every working adult pays for the up keep of the roads.

The budget for the up keep of the roads is paid out of general taxes, and council tax. Although cyclists do absolutely no damage to road surfaces, and have the barest of concesions made to us in the way of cycle lanes, and of making the roads safe for us, we pay an equal amount to the up keep of our roads as any motorist does. And still we have to listen to the abuse from many motorists that we have no right to be on the road as we don't pay road tax.

What vehicle drivers pay is VED ( Vehicle Excise Duty). It's not a road tax, it's a car tax, a tax on vehicles with motors. - Yup, drivers are paying for the filth their vehicles give off. And whilst it is fair that all pay towards the up keep of the roads I doubt if any sensible person would think it fair that cyclists subsidise the pollution vehicles give off.

The other cry motorists give is, "why should we pay for cycle lanes". We, the cyclist already pay for the up keep of the roads and as road users and tax payers we are already entitled to cycle paths and have the right to ride safely on our roads. In fact it's very unfair that we have so few safe places to cycle as we pay as much towards the up keep of our roads as any motorist does.

Motorists may also be surprised to learn that the tarmac they so love wasn't spread on Britain's dirt roads for the benefit of cars. In fact, it was lobbying from 19th Century cyclists - who wanted smoother surfaces to ride along - which hastened the black-topping of Britain.

So you see how unfair and arrogant it is of motorists to continually cry cyclists should pay "road tax". Cyclists aren't interlopers on roads paid for by the motorist. It could be said that we the cyclist are subsidising the motorist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://twitter.com/zandranna http://pottyprofiles.forumotion.com http://www.zandranna.com/u1wall

I Pay Road Tax
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Zan's Zone :: Blogging It ::   :: Bicycling as a Means of Transport-
Reply to topicJump to:  

The Best of Top 100s