Affiliates at a Glance

(Replaces the Marquee)

Latest Activity

Inaine daily personal tweeting. To follow my more serious tweets go to
@SandyYatesUK
Whatcha Up To?

This Week’s Video
Facts
Scientists say that a star goes super nova in our galaxy roughly every 26 years. They can see how many have gone super nova by the remnants left. They have counted the past super novas and have found there have been approximately 250 in the life of our galaxy. 26 years x 250 = 6,500 years - This is the approximate age of the Earth as written in the Bible.

Reply to topicShare | 

I'm Doomed I Tell You - Doomed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

Name : Sandy
UK
Kudos : 76
Mood : Content
Birthday : 1st Nov
Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: I'm Doomed I Tell You - Doomed   05/08/17, 09:44 am

Before I start I have to say that I am not feeling low over all of this.  I am taking it all quite well and taking it all in my stride.  This move has been quite an experience and it seems that it's not over yet.

First of all I had trouble with being let down over the carpet which lead to all sorts of adjustments to make in what originally seemed to be a very well organised move.  Finally leading to me getting totally in, unpacked and living normally a week later than planned, along with a lot of turmoil and chaos in the meantime.

When I first viewed the flat there seemed to be a small damp patch on the wall low down in the living area, which I did report to a workman on site the same day and he said he would get it sorted.  I was told by neighbours that these ground floor flats do get damp and so I ignored it, planning on reporting it to the office if it got worse.

Well, it did get worse.  It not only grew larger but there also started to grow mildew along it.

They came in yesterday to check while I was up to my eyeballs in unpacking boxes.  After checking all the outside of the building, they then pulled out my cooker which has only been there for a few days, along with taking under the sink apart, and discovered it also wringing wet along both sides of the kitchen wall and thick with mildew there as well.

Turns out there has been a leak under the kitchen units where the plumber didn't seal off a pipe.

So I now have chaos in my kitchen, and all that was in the cupboard under the sink is now in boxes in my kitchen for a month or so while it all dries out.

Once it is all dried, they will then be in to redecorate where it has all been affected with water and infected with spores of mildew in both kitchen and living room.

Now, I can wash and kill the mildew in the living room while leaving it all to dry out, but there is no way I can get all the mildew removed and killed from under the units and behind my cooker.  I'm not strong enough to pull the cooker out for a start and it's certainly impossible to get behind the units.

-----------------------------

Paused writing for a moment to take a torch to look under the sink unit.

It seems the leak has been heading only towards the left which has taken it behind the cooker and into the living room, so the wall under the sink at the moment whilst damp is free of spores.

So I will get Charlie in to move out the cooker for me next week and we can get that mildew dead and cleaned off behind there between us.  If I do that with bleach it wont come back before the walls are completely dry.  I don't want to have to live with mildew whilst waiting for it to all dry and then they come in to decorate it all again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://twitter.com/zandranna http://www.zandranna.com/u1wall
zucker7not
Topaz Member
Topaz Member

Name : GERU
CA
Kudos : 27
Mood : relaxed
Birthday : Febr.10th
Aquarius Ox

PostSubject: Re: I'm Doomed I Tell You - Doomed   05/08/17, 07:52 pm

OMG , I am feeling sorry for you, this is hair raising affraid  ---... I know how upsetting this must be for you , just getting moved in and all ... looking forward to  enjoying the new place ...... but .... as you say, you are taking it in stride ... well lets face it -------you got to cope .   Just be careful with that bleach  .    Mildew can cause many health problems , and by all rights they should apply mildew resistant primer and paint ....seeing it's  a ground suite .  

I live on the top floor ,and they had a bad flood here years back , and they had to cut the walls down on the ground floor  , cause they soaked up the water . They then sprayed bleach inside the walls and used huge fans to dry it all out . It went on for days   , the fumes just about killed me .

flower have a great day .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sally
Topaz Member
Topaz Member

US
Kudos : 12
Pisces

PostSubject: Re: I'm Doomed I Tell You - Doomed   05/08/17, 08:23 pm

OH geez. They should of checked that out before anyone moved in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spherical
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

Name : Martha
AU
Kudos : 105
Mood : Amused
Birthday : 3rd March
Pisces Ox

PostSubject: Re: I'm Doomed I Tell You - Doomed   06/08/17, 01:25 am

So sorry that you have to put up with this Sandy. You know that bleach itself does not kill the spores? It removes the mild dew but does not kill it. What does kill the spores is vinegar Sandy.

So ones you've cleaned the wall with bleach, make sure to wipe the wall with white vinegar after and let that dry.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://spherical.forumotion.com http://sphericals.weebly.com
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK
Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: Re: I'm Doomed I Tell You - Doomed   06/08/17, 08:48 am

Well, I'm thinking now that I shouldn't touch it.  I think I will make sure they come in sometime next week and get rid of the mould themselves.  Then if it comes back at all it's their responsibility.

My trouble is, that I have been too quick to do maintenance jobs myself over the years when I had my own house to save money.  I seem to forget now, that it's someone else's job to fix things.

Don't feel too sorry for me Geru.  It's more a little disappointing rather than distressing, if you know what I mean.

As Pollyanna would say.  Look for the good.  The good is, that I am getting to know all the workmen on site, and giving out cups of tea goes a long way to getting favours over and above the call of duty, lol.

Charlie bought me in a free curtain pole the other day that was left in an empty flat that he was cleaning out and thought of me when he saw it, and he's coming back to fix it up for me too.

Frank Ocean wrote:
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me.
My attitude depends on you.

Back to top Go down
zucker7not
Topaz Member
Topaz Member

CA
Aquarius Ox

PostSubject: Re: I'm Doomed I Tell You - Doomed   06/08/17, 09:07 pm

Well, yes ... I see your point , if you  got the patients to wait ... our repair crew here  is not full time employed , they get called in  .

About mildew :   I had some growing at my Kitchen sink wall , they came and fixed it , but it grew back , so it had to get redone .... now it seems to be OK , they used  rubbing Alcohol to kill of the spores ,.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sally
Topaz Member
Topaz Member

US
Kudos : 12
Pisces

PostSubject: Re: I'm Doomed I Tell You - Doomed   07/08/17, 10:51 am

I don't know what it's like where you all are but if that was here, I would call the health department.
Mold is pretty serious stuff. It needs to be cleaned professionally. imo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK
Scorpio Rat

PostSubject: Re: I'm Doomed I Tell You - Doomed   08/08/17, 10:08 am

It's a bearable amount and I have decided not to touch it myself.  I'm going to leave it all to the builders to sort out.  It seems to have stopped spreading now that it's drying out a bit.

I'm sure they will make a good job of it all once it's completely dry and they come in to clean the mold and redecorate.  I have every faith in them. (I say that with fingers crossed, lol)

Frank Ocean wrote:
Don't get my personality and my attitude confused.  My personality is me.
My attitude depends on you.

Back to top Go down
zucker7not
Topaz Member
Topaz Member

CA
Aquarius Ox

PostSubject: Re: I'm Doomed I Tell You - Doomed   08/08/17, 09:29 pm

Yes ,  bleach is what the professional people used to kill the mold spores  here  , but the drying part is also important , fans fans fans , for days , until it's very very dry , they also dug down to the foundation bottom of the building , and attached thick  layers of wire cage and thick tar paper  over it , then a layer of gravel and then dirt . No problems since then    5 years have passed . 

So lets hope your little problem was just from the leaky pipe .  

Back to top Go down
View user profile

I'm Doomed I Tell You - Doomed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Zan's Zone :: Blogging It :: Journal-
Reply to topicJump to:  

Advertising Us & Our Websites

The Best of Top 100s