October Chit Chat - Page 3
A Warm Welcome

This site is - 602 Days Old
A Warm Welcome to Zan's Zone Guest
Please feel free to come and go as you please.
Please tell me if you see any mistakes in the skin so that I can fix it.
Feel free to add a link to your own board, blog or website in your signature.
The size of images added to signatures are restricted to avoid long scrolling passed them.
If you have made a post on your own board and you would like to post a link to it, Post it Here
Gab

Gab the new social media system - A cross between Facebook and Twitter.

Whatcha Up To?

My Time & Weather

Click for Bournemouth, United Kingdom Forecast

Worthwhile Charities

Share | 

October Chit Chat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Linette
Topaz Member
Topaz Member

CA
Kudos : 14

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   17/10/17, 03:18 pm

Good morning peeps, it's a beautiful soggy day here in Canada BC and I am loving it, the one thing I am learning to appreciate is rain after all these hot summers getting hotter and hotter each year.
Back to top Go down
Elaine
Emerald Member
Emerald Member

Name : NutBar
CA
Kudos : 41
Mood : Introspective
Birthday : October 1

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   17/10/17, 06:56 pm

I've put off the housework long enough! LOL I at least need to get a load of laundry in the washer.
This morning started off with lots of rain but now it's sunny and windy. I keep hearing stuff on the deck getting blown around. It's all Roomie's stuff though and I don't know what to do with it.
It's 11 AM and I'm still in my pajamas. I had a difficult sleep last night due to the weather giving me extra aches and pains but ended up sleeping for a few hours this morning.  
sunny Have a beautiful day everyone!
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/@togonit http://canadianforumchat.freeforums.net/
Kerri
Topaz Member
Topaz Member

Name : Kerri
Kudos : 10
Birthday : July 22

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   18/10/17, 12:43 am

Hi Everyone.

Good that you finally got some decent sleep in the morning, Elaine.
Sometimes when one has trouble sleeping, 
those hours in the early morning are when sleep comes hard and deep.

I took my granddaughters to one of the pumpkin farms
on the outskirts of the city this past weekend.
We went on a hayride and they had so much fun.
We live in a large metropolitan area and they are for the most part
city girls, like I am.
So it is fun to take them out to the pumpkin patches
and apple orchards this time of year.

We had to pick up a few things at the shops there as well.
Eyeball rings, alien in an egg that glows in the dark, 
tarantula that hangs from the porch on Halloween. (Yikes!)
My granddaughters love everything scary about Halloween.
The cute stuffed scarecrows are so boring.
So I have been told.

It was 71F/22C today and sunny.
A lovely Autumn day.

Hope everyone has a great rest of your day.
Back to top Go down
Spherical
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

Name : Martha
AU
Kudos : 127
Mood : Reminiscent
Birthday : 3rd March

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   18/10/17, 12:06 pm

Sandy I saw in the news the orange skies you had! It all had to do with the cyclone that was heading towards Scotland. It looked really eery.

Shame I don't live close to you as I would be your personal chauffeur  I love you Fingers crossed it all works out and one of the girls or Sarah can drive you. Also look for patient transport in your area as some councils here have a list of those so maybe you have something like that too.

I'm finally able to type more and sitting here realise I should really get my dinner in the oven if I want to eat tonight!

Back to top Go down
http://spherical.forumotion.com http://sphericals.weebly.com https://gab.ai/SphericMartha
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

Name : Sandy
UK
Kudos : 128
Mood : Energetic
Birthday : 1st Nov

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   18/10/17, 01:00 pm

I would probably be able to get patient transport the day of release from the op, but not for the other two days I have to too and fro as they are simply appointments. For those I have decided that if none of the girls can help I will go by taxi to make sure on time for appointments and then come home by bus. That way I can keep the cost down to £40 that week which isn't too bad. Although I have found a cab company that will do the run for £16.50 which brings it down to £33.

It's Louie I am worried about because of Jess having to leave him at my place early in the morning after my op and then him not being too long on his own before I am discharged and home again.

I'm thinking I might ask Debbie next door to look in on him if she hears him bark if she is going to be around that morning.

I have a routine Doctors appointment in a bit, just to find out my test results and to discuss coming off of bisoprolol. I also want to find out my cholesterol level now that I have taken myself off of simvastatin. This will make for an interesting visit once she finds out what I have done and what I intend to do. We shall just see how much she agrees with me.

My bowel consultant told me last time that as well as the absess on my bowel he believes I had/have diverticulitis. I discovered that simvastatins can cause this. They certainly also cause one to put on weight which causes type 2 diabetes.

Anyway, need to get ready now so will stop typing for the time being.

Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/zandranna https://gab.ai/Zandranna
Whisper
Emerald Member
Emerald Member

UK
Kudos : 46
Mood : Restless

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   19/10/17, 11:25 am

I have walking pneumonia. The walking part is difficult and not much time to rest so far. Lousy timing!

Thanks for your thoughts all of you. Tuesday went as well as these things can. Standing room only at the back. A mixture of tears and laughter. I think mum would have enjoyed her day.

Still lots of paperwork for me to do and endless phone calls. The vultures circle for their money before a person is cold it seems! Made a start on the house and tomorrow all my siblings and I are meeting there to decide who would like what and what mum left for them whether they like it or not. lol Then we'll move on to the next generation and the next. Sorry I'm still not going to be around much but didn't want you to think I'd forgotten about you.

We got 60mph winds and some weird skies but luckily escaped the worst of that storm.

Back to the grindstone. Just wanted to drop by and let you know I am alive still. Just. Smile
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   19/10/17, 04:13 pm

It's so hard to have to not only deal with grief but also have to sort things out at the same time.  I really feel for you all Wendy.

As I say in the chatbox, it was all good news at the Doctors yesterday.  My cholesterol level was only 4.7 even though I haven't taken any simvastatin for months.  All other tests were perfect too.

My girls have now all volunteered a day each for each of my hospital appointments and the only day I have to worry about sorting is the 10th if they keep me overnight.  Although Aimee, at this moment thinks she might be able to help with that one too.

Rotten weather here today too.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   19/10/17, 07:18 pm

dark and overcast here, lots of rain overnight , stopped for now , but more coming .  Alberta has wild fires now , wonder why , they are getting rain too, must be man's carelessness . 
  Must make it to the grocery store today , am running out of things .

Sandy:   was reading the shout-box , and want to add, that here you are not allowed to smoke withing 8 feet of any bus stop .  Sounds like you are  getting help with transportation  to and from the hospital from relatives , how nice of them .  Glad all the test results were good .

Kerri;   Halloween is a crazy time  for the youngsters , but think you are having fun too.... picking up all the novelty items ... enjoy.  Enjoy the lovely fall weather .

Martha, it must be catching, you should see my hand , black and blue , banged it doing some heavy duty deep cleaning  , glad  you are able to type a bit now .

Whisper;  So sorry about your illness amid all the sadness going on right now , take good care one day at a time . We are happy you dropped in on us .

Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   20/10/17, 08:41 am

The smoking law here is only covered by tobacco products Geru.  Which is simply no smoking in a public building, enclosed public space or on buses and trains.

Some twats are also trying to enlarge the smoking tobacco law to include parks and other outdoor public places, but each time it gets brought up it doesn't get very far.

A plastic tube that gives off water vapour (e-ciggy) or any other vaporiser still come under any other form of nicotine replacement therapy.  As in, that there are no laws regarding them (yet).  But any business can stop someone vaping on their premises if they want.  I'm sure they will soon try to bring out laws regarding them simply because when they do they will be able to find a way to put the taxes up on them that they are losing by so many people quitting smoking now.

Even our Doctors now advise using an e-ciggy as they do for the nicotine patches and other replacement therapies.

Yeah, it seems the girls had already worked out who could do what hospital appointment on what days but hadn't thought to tell me.  I only found out yesterday when Aimee visited and I brought the subject up.

I've been thinking how as soon as I can get some money together I really must do something about changing the furniture I've got now.  What I have now is great for my normal life style but not very comfortable for visitors.  So I do really need to have a think about what is best to get rid of and what is best to get to replace it.

It's getting colder here now and today it's very windy but at least, so far, it's dry out there.  Winter is certainly on it's way.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   20/10/17, 06:48 pm

Damp morning here, with a fine drizzle , 5c , so rain gear in order for the daily walk , sun promised for the weekend . 

Consider your self lucky Sandy, ( as far as smoking law goes ) Here were I live , you cannot smoke anything in any form or way along the village sidewalks , or Village parks , this includes open air bus stops . Outside the village it's no smoking within 8 feet of bus stops , open air or closed in .  To think I used to smoke , now it just repels me . My daughter came to visit without telling me that she started smoking again , and it was just so awful , her clothes and her hair just smelled like cigarette smoke ,  etc etc , yuk yuk .  '

To stop, I had to stop drinking coffee too, cause that  was done together ........lol,
Back to top Go down
Spherical
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

AU

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   20/10/17, 11:34 pm

Aw Wendy how terrible to have walking pneumonia on top of everything else you're facing! Lovely to see you pop in but take the time you need and as you know we will still be here Smile
Hope you feel better soon!

Geru the thing with vaping is that it's NOT smoking at all and this is where so many people get confused. There are no nasty fumes coming from vaping so to ban people from vaping at places is just stupid and shows miss-information all around.

Sandy my guess is that this woman seeing you vape at the bus stop saw your ecig and thought it was the real thing as it does look like the real ciggie. My vape mod could never be confused for one hahaha and I have people asking me what it is.

Back to top Go down
http://spherical.forumotion.com http://sphericals.weebly.com https://gab.ai/SphericMartha
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   21/10/17, 09:21 am

Maybe at first Martha, but when I calmly told her it wasn't a cigarette but a bit of plastic expelling water vapour, she had the nerve to say "drink water then" and started to get hysterical shouting, "If I see a policeman I'm calling him over".  I had to laugh at the next one as I am still trying to explain that the smoking law only covers tobacco products she bellowed, "You obviously aren't from here are you"  ?????   I ignored that one totally.  I'm not sure if she meant I wasn't from the town or from this country.  Heck it's not even illegal to smoke at a covered in bus stop let along use an e-ciggy as long as it's got only 3 sides and one completely open to the fresh air.

For some reason since we've had the smoking laws, non-smokers get really violent and vicious towards even the thought of smoking as if it were some sort of illegal A class drug.  They also have no idea of what, where and when you can still smoke.  And as you say Martha, they think that e-cigs and vaping also come under the smoking law.

I think she also got so angry because the 5 other people standing with us at the bus stop didn't back her up, and just ignored it all for the stupidity it was.  She then started to feel ridiculous, walked away and stood by herself.

I remember a few years ago I had one resident here telling me that these were non-smoking flats.  She was complaining to me that one of the old boys here was a heavy smoker.   I had to explain to her that the smoking law covered the landings but our tenencies allow for smoking in our own homes.  She thought that it was illegal now even to smoke in ones own house/home now.  Although I'm not sure if the smoking law even covers our landings or if it's the society that just asks us no to smoke on them.

Some of our parks put up polite notices asking us not to smoke near the childrens play area, because they believe that could encourage children to start smoking, but they can only ask us and not enforce it.  The same with waiting outside the school gates etc.

Some countries have got ridiculous with it.  I think it's bloody stupid how some of them wont allow it in open air areas.  People have become hysterical over smoking.  Revenue for the counties have gone down so much now that less people smoke, which means everyone elses taxes have had to go up.  This is why soon I think they might start on e-cigs and vaping so they can bung heavy taxes on those.  They have to get the money back somehow.

As electric cars become more popular the taxes on those will soon go up as well as they start losing revenue from petrol and diesel.  In this country they get taxes two ways from driving.  One from the heavy taxes on petrol and two from the actual car tax.  Car tax is charged because of the filthy fumes that cars give off.  Well, if cars are electric they aren't buying petrol and they aren't giving off fumes, so how are they going to recouperate those taxes?

The only way I can see that they will be able to do that is to raise personal taxes for every person and to bring back road tax, which means they will then have to tax cyclists and old people's buggys that use the road.  At the moment we all pay for the roads and the car tax goes directly to motorway building and maintenance.  So I suppose they could start charging for motorway use as well.

I think I mentioned my sister Penny in a past post.  She is still in hospital.  Seemingly she also had pneumonia when taken in but is over that now.  She will be in hosptial for a while yet but then they will be moving her to a temporary care home, from there I have no idea.  As I said my cousin Carol is trying to arrange that finally Penny will be in a permanant care home in her town so that she can be nearer her to make sure she is looked after properly and make visits easier.  That will help us too as that will mean she will also be nearer all of us for visits etc.

I want to do a bit of cleaning today, but the weather is really bad out there so I wont be going out much or far.  It will just be quick pop out for the dog to have his pees.

Back to top Go down
Whisper
Emerald Member
Emerald Member

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   21/10/17, 11:56 am

Great that the kids sorted out your appointments Sandy even if they did omit the minor detail of telling you about it. lol

Yesterday was horrible. Going through mum's treasured possessions and deciding who to distribute what to and which to get rid of was heartbreaking. We did make some good progress though and everyone will get a nice memento at the very least.

I doubt many people even pay tax on tobacco products here any more. The government got way too greedy and people just go to Europe and bring stuff back. That may well change after Brexit though. I'm sure the quotas won't be nearly as generous as they are now. Vaping isn't allowed on planes or in a lot of pubs now but the last I heard open bus stops were nowhere to be seen on the list of places you can't smoke or vape.
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   21/10/17, 12:12 pm

I found sorting my Mum's stuff out the worst job of all.  Arranging the funneral was bad but the sorting of her personal bits was heartbreaking as you say.

Yup, many pubs and restaurants have personally opted to not allow e-cigs or vaping.  I don't blame them really because some of that vaping equipment does give off a heck of a lot of vapor which although dissipates quickly can be very irritating to be surrounded by and worse than sitting next to a smoker.   I tend to treat my e-ciggy just as I would a cigarette.  Although not covered by the smoking law I know it can annoy some people and so I will always go outside a resaurant or pub to use it even if it is allowed indoors by the owner.

The other thing I do is if I pop into one of the residents flats here for a cuppa I always ask them if they mind if I use it.  So far everyone has said it's ok and go ahead.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   21/10/17, 07:56 pm

dark and windy , light rain, mild 9c , leaves everywhere ... lets hope it lightens up , so I can get out for my walk .  

Wisper:  good  to see you , and I can see you are having a busy and emotional time , sending hugs .

Smoking:   The adult pasifier  pirat one could call it . From what I have read , ......venting contains a mixture 3 chemicals .    Vegetable glycerin , propeline glycol , flavoring ,  and most people add nicotine ( to help with the quitting smoking ) 

E-cigs   :  well, something about having to get new battery packs , but it also is for trying to quitt, so many puffs at a time , so it must contain nicotine too. 

My point is . ...... there must be some  nicotine in  the vapour  for others to inhale as second hand ? 

They say ,venting is the better method to quit , ( so I have just read )

In my personal opinion , no one should smoke inside a building . it is a fire hazard .  A good friend of mine smoked and drank wine , and she nodded off , fire burned her to death .   Amen . 

Must get dressed now , see you later .

Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   21/10/17, 11:19 pm

Nicotine is harmless with no health risks.  The only con with nicotine is that it's highly addictive.  It's a no to any harmful intake from anyone inhaling the water vapour it gives off.  All nicotine is absorbed into the blood stream of the person sucking on it.  Tobacco when smoked gives off poisonous fumes but not due to the nicotine it contains.  This is why chewing tobacco is also exempt from the smoking ban.

Our National Health Service explanation and advice to smokers states: "E-cigarette use, known as vaping, is not covered by smokefree legislation, E-cigarettes do not burn tobacco and does not create smoke”  

It goes on to say that E-cigarettes are 95% safer than smoking, the 5% being the addiction to nicotine.  By promoting e-cigarettes to smokers as an alternative the NHS hopes to secure a tobacco free generation by 2025.  

Around 2.8 million people are in the UK at the moment using E-cigarettes that have either quit smoking tobacco totally or have dramatically cut down.

As for smoking being a fire hazzard, far more fires are caused through cooking and by faulty wiring than by people smoking indoors.  Having said that, it's a rarity here in the UK now for people to smoke indoors anyway.  Most always go into the garden or outside.  That along with vast amount of us quitting smoking it's now almost unheard of over here for a fire to start due to smoking.

When I was in my 30s over 70% of the population smoked.  Now it's less than 22% with less and less each year.  The UK is doing brilliantly in cutting smoking down.

Back to top Go down
Spherical
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

AU

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   22/10/17, 03:50 am

Wendy it is such a hard thing to do sorting out those personal items and I feel for you.

The utter mix up regarding vaping aka using an e-cigarette is that as they became more popular, the tobacco companies where throwing out claims about the vape being bad etc etc. Nothing to do with the truth and/or health in those statements but all just a poor scare mongering to stop people from quitting cigarettes as those companies stood to loose too much money!

Geru just think about the E-cigarette/Vaping as the Nicotine patches that doctors prescribe to their patients to try and quit smoking.
As Sandy said, the only "bad" thing in vaping is the nicotine (if one chooses to have nicotine in the vape) and that nicotine gets indeed absorbed into the blood stream so nothing bad is being exhaled!

Sandy that woman sounded like a maniac ... ghee whiz.

You know thinking about taxes and all the changes in how the governments collect the taxes is quiet a worrying thing.

Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   22/10/17, 08:36 am

Hahaha Martha, she was a nut case I think. She was absolutely hysterical over it. Not only did she not understand the smoking law regarding where you could smoke but also that a bit of plastic and water vapour was not a cigarette. I personally think they should make the plastic tube of an e-ciggy a little less looking like a white ciggy with a brown tip but maybe colour them just a simple green tube or something. That way the uninformed wouldn't give a quick glance and think it was a real ciggy.

But of course they make it look like a ciggy to attract smokers to using it instead of smoking. Although I think now that vapping is becoming more popular than actually smoking there isn't the need to make it look like a ciggy. With the sort of vape you use there is no mix up as it looks totally different. I don't like pratting around with the liquids. I much prefer to just walk into tescos and buy the refill tips. Which is why I use the vape that looks like a ciggy.

I managed to get my curtain pinned and tacked up yesterday but didn't get the sewing machine out to finish it. I will do that when I get back from church today. I hope I've measured the length properly and will put it up whilst still only tacked to test it before I actually machine sew it.

I might as well then leave the machine out and finish off the apron I started to make over a year ago.

My Jess visited me on the hop last night. It was lovely to see her so unexpectedly. I really must get the seating sorted out in this flat for visitors.

Back to top Go down
Whisper
Emerald Member
Emerald Member

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   22/10/17, 09:47 am

You're the opposite of me Sandy. Unexpected visitors disturbing my routine drive me nuts. lol I'm only sociable with ample warning.

A quiet day today hopefully. The lads are moving more of the big furniture out of mum's so I'm staying out of the way. That's what I have brothers for. Smile Tomorrow I'll be back to all the paperwork/finances etc. It's ridiculous how much one person generates.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   23/10/17, 03:57 am

dampish day , some sun now and then , but then the clouds rolled in again . Did not go for my walk today , stayed in and did some paper work , and washed and set my hair etc . 

Whisper:   so good to hear there is some one else like myself, I like to have lots of notice before receiving company .   I hate spur of the moment visiting, don't do well with it , mostly because I like everything to be tidy and neat , including me ... lol , I was brought up that way , and I give others notice too, never just drop in , not even my own family . 

Hope everything else works out OK for you with all the work etc etc , keep well.

Sandy:  hope you enjoyed the new church today .
have a good night all .

Back to top Go down
Whisper
Emerald Member
Emerald Member

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   23/10/17, 08:04 am

lol It's not so much the neat and tidy part for me. Anyone who doesn't like the house can clean it. Personally I'm up and dressed early anyway. It's the interruption when I have my time planned out that bugs me. I hate spending the day playing catch up when they've gone.

I need to get stuck into cleaning up here this morning. I've been even more neglectful than usual lately. Then lunch with a friend, sis, niece and my sister-in-law is joining us too today. She needs a haircut which my sister will do. It's going to be very strange without mum so an extra person will help liven us up a bit hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   23/10/17, 08:44 am

I hate any morning unexpected interuptions but don't mind from then on although I always appreciate a phone call, even if it's only a 10 minute warning.  My Sister Barbara is like you both Wendy and Geru, she loathes the unexpected.

Not having Mum around Wendy is going to leave a big whole for you all for a very long time.

I enjoyed church again yesterday but it started to rain just as I came out, which was a bit of a pain walking home in that.  I also wish it was the trend to wear name tags as trying to keep faces with names when meeting so many people in one go is so bloody hard nowadays.

I was watching this interview Martha this morning by one of your tv channels with Milo Yiannopoulos on his forth coming visit to Australia that you might be interested in.  I just love the man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PZHIxDiez0&feature=em-uploademail

After a tiny bit of cleaning today I'm going to continue with some more sewing. It's raining again so wont be going far on our walks today.

Back to top Go down
Elaine
Emerald Member
Emerald Member

Name : NutBar
CA
Kudos : 41
Mood : Introspective
Birthday : October 1

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   23/10/17, 08:24 pm

Good afternoon
My day has started slowly. I'm still not showered and dress but will get to that soon. I feel very tired today. must be due to the dampish weather. I really just feel like taking a nap!
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/@togonit http://canadianforumchat.freeforums.net/
Whisper
Emerald Member
Emerald Member

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   24/10/17, 08:02 am

It's been hammering it down all night and shows no sign of letting up today either. I'm going to need an ark soon. Cleaning downstairs this morning if I ever get moving and then off to visit my brother after lunch. Various circumstances mean I haven't been to his place for several weeks. First I was too ill, then mum died and then the funeral. All on our usual Tuesdays. I couldn't possibly change my routine to go on a different day of course. lol
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   24/10/17, 08:39 am

I"m going to do some sorting out today. I'm sure I have more stuff I can get rid of that I simply don't need. Once I can do that I will have room to rearrange what I have left to better serve. I've been meaning to do all that since I moved in because when first moving in I just put anything anywhere, storage wise, just to get it out of sight. Now it all needs properly organising.

I'm up early today for some reason. No idea why my eyes pinged open so early. So I have more time to lounge around before getting stuck in. Not that I actually feel like doing anything today.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: October Chit Chat   

Back to top Go down

October Chit Chat
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zan's Zone :: Now We're Buzzing - Members Only :: As Dead as a Door Nail-
Jump to: