Autumn Chatter - Page 5
A Warm Welcome

This site is - 688 Days Old
A Warm Welcome to Zan's Zone Guest
Please feel free to come and go as you please.
Please tell me if you see any mistakes in the skin so that I can fix it.
Feel free to add a link to your own board, blog or website in your signature.
The size of images added to signatures are restricted to avoid long scrolling passed them.
If you have made a post on your own board and you would like to post a link to it, Post it Here
Whistle ’n’ Scoot
I couldn't believe it when I woke up to a beautiful day this morning after all the wet, windy, or freezing cold days....
Links

My Time & Weather

Click for Bournemouth, United Kingdom Forecast

Share | 

Autumn Chatter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Whisper
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

UK
Kudos : 47
Mood : Restless

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   03/10/18, 08:05 am

It must be your lucky week Sandy. Staff swimming pool and a free mobility scooter! My brother wasn't keen on having a scooter after spending years driving for a living but he wouldn't be without it now. He did upgrade his original one which wasn't great on steep hills. He regularly goes out with his camera for hours since he's keen photographer. Not so much fun in winter but that's no different from cycling I suppose. His daughter has one too and taught her dogs to walk nicely next to it. It's a godsend for her as she had to give up driving for medical reasons. She'd spent several years building up a very successful business as a driving instructor too so it was a bit of a wrench.
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

Name : Sandy
UK
Kudos : 131
Mood : Looking forward to Christmas
Birthday : 1st Nov

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   03/10/18, 10:47 am

I think whoever invented the mobility scooter deserves a medal.  When you think of how many people young and old that it's freed up from being constantly having to rely on others to get around, to being able to do so much again for oneself.

I know I"m not disabled to the extent that I need one for that reason, but really more need it for personal transport to go further than walking can take me.  Although, I do also need it because of my health because I really am not fit enough, mentally, as in stress has taken away my confidence on the trike.

It's unbelievable really when you think of how poor mental health can affect one so badly.  Part of me is so angry with myself for allowing myself to get in this state, but at the same time I am logically well aware of the reasons behind this sodding state I am in. 

As for "not so much fun in the winter" - Obviously I don't know because I haven't been out on the mobility scooter yet, but I would imagine it would be better than being on a bike.  The reason I say that is because we walk and wait for buses in the winter and just wrap up warmer as the winter get worse.  On a bike you can't really pile on the clothes so much and of course one is going faster through the cold air than on a scooter.  With a scooter not only can one wear layers upon layers but also have a throw across one's legs.  In fact they make something one can step in and be covered from foot to chest in a body bag if you know what I mean.

I will certainly be getting me one of those and then Louie can be sitting on my lap inside it too.  Could even take a hot water bottle with me, lol.  In fact I probably will.

I have a list of things I want to buy for comfort regarding the scooter if I get on with it. 

What scooter has your Brother got now?   I checked my bank accounts yesterday to see how much was in my savings account and how much more I will have to save to upgrade at some point.  I don't see any point in even trying to upgrade until the spring anyway because there is no way I'm going to go far and often galavanting in really bad weather.

But, assuming I love riding the scooter and assuming I really have had enough of peddling my way to and fro, I will sell my trike.  I have no idea how much I will get for it at this point.  It cost me £1300 I think it was and as you know I have hardly really ridden it over this last 2 or more years.  New now they are £1400.  So you would have to go by what they are now and how much someone would really want one but can't afford that sort of cash. 

Advert on Gumtree for same trike as mine wrote:
Ladies electric trike. Unused. Was bought for a stroke victim but they couldn't manage it. Rated to do 35 miles on a charge. As new. Cost £1300. Accept £800.

I suppose I could put mine up for that price but then expect them to knock me down.  Maybe to about £700.  If I could get that much then so far that would give me, £1300 to go towards a scooter upgrade.  Then add the savings from now to spring to that, and it would bring me up to about £1500, but then of course we have Christmas between then and now so that will knock the savings a bit.

But then I am also thinking of selling most of my Filofaxes because quite honestly they are simply sitting there as a collection.  All are in pristine condition so I reckon they will easily go if I sold them half the price I paid for each.  Except one of the most expensive ones (nearly £100) Sarah spilt some chinese curry on it which none of us noticed and as it sat in the juice it became badly marked and stained.  I'd only had it a few days before that happened.  If that was in good condition someone would have grabbed that before I had hardly advertised it.  It was a limited addition.  

I would probably be able to get about £300 quid for the ones I would be selling.  Some are only worth £5 or £10 2nd hand, a couple of the other's I could get £50 each for, and others inbetween.  If I sell those I will get Aimee to put them on Ebay for me.  I think she still sells on there.

I think by spring though, I should be able to gather enough cash to buy a top of the range second hand scooter that isn't very old.  Maybe even an ex-showroom one.  I do know these showrooms for scooters are will to bargain with you.  I might go into the one I checked out a few weeks ago, a couple of times between now and then, pushing how much I want one but still have a way to go to save for it.  You never know, he might get so fed up with me continually window shopping in there that he will lower the price even more.  He already told me last time he would take £450 off the price. 

I've just thought, of course I will now have a bargaing chip as I will then have a scooter to part exchange.  That could bring another £150 or even £200 off the price of a new one.

I saw Charlie yesterday and he said he has had another look at the scooter in the sites garage and it's in better condition that he first thought.  He said it's in good condition actually.  I think he is going to take it to his house this weekend, check the electrics, motor and the batteries.  I'm so looking forward to having a play on it.  He has told me I mustn't worry about breaking down or running out of battery as he will be my road side and recovery service, lol.

Today I have started to do another sweep of my home sorting out and throwing away again.  Stuff is building up and I'm beginning to have spilling over.  I have already sorted out my DVDs and whittled them down to less than half.  Got rid of all the audio books I had as I have listened to those many times over the years.  I then started on my CDs but made the mistake of putting one on so ended up dancing instead of sorting and throwing.  Then of course I came on here.

Quote:  "The thing about smart people is that they seem like crazy people to dumb people" Stephen Hawking.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/zandranna https://whistle-n-scoot.blogspot.com/ https://zandranna.blogspot.com/ https://gab.ai/Zandranna
Whisper
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   04/10/18, 10:10 am

lol That's fantastic. Good condition scooter and free roadside recovery if the worst comes to the worst. I have no idea what my brother has now but apparently his daughter's is even better specs. I'll try and remember to ask about both when I see him. I'd ring him now but the lazy beggar has taken to sleeping late so even though he's probably out of bed his brain will still be asleep.

I've just brought the wheely back in and fished the bedding out of the washing machine. I debated hanging it out but I don't think it's warm enough for it to dry even if the rain holds off which is debatable. Scans and updates finished while I did that so I'm thinking what to tackle next. Probably grooming the cat since she's being a pain with her head on my hands while I try and type.
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   04/10/18, 11:37 am

I will be very interested to know about both your Brothers and Neice's scooters and what they like about them in particular for information on what to buy myself when I go in for a newer one.  There are so many types out there to choose from it's hard to know what's best.

I'm quite pleased with the sorting I did yesterday.  I made a good start, and there's no hurry anyway to get it all done.  I don't want it to be a chore doing it, I want it to be fun.

Clothes are always the hardest to sort as it's painful to get rid of really good stuff even if one hasn't worn it for years.  But Jess is going to come over one day and help me be ruthless.  I will follow her lead as to what to keep and what should go.

I also joined a terrific site yesterday ( https://www.gransnet.com/ ) they have some terrific advice for the over 50s on minimising and also on how to dress as an oldie.  Luckily most of the basic wardrobe they say one should have I already do have.  Shoes are my problem due to my pigging right foot and it being so painful when wearing solid shoes.

They suggest that all clothes should be of good, lasting quality and to stay away from the cheap shops as in the long run one spends more money with clothes from them.

The basic wardrobe is as follows, although I might miss something out.

Underwear: Stop holding on to that which is well passed it's sell by date and invest in good quality bra after making sure you measure yourself properly.  Nice comfy knickers.

Personally I always buy Platex knickers anyway.  Bloody good quality and sooooo comfortable.  Bra's I'm a bugger for.  I keep them far too long until they really are doing nothing for me.  Plus my boobs are always squeezed out at the top.   I tend to always call myself a C cup when really I am a D.  So yesterday I ordered just one pair of 34D to see if they will fit better.  If they do I will then buy more of that size and throw away all the crappy ones I have.

Basic wardrobe as follows.

2 pairs of straight legged jeans.
1 pair of straight legged black trousers.
Black leggings (Marks and Spencers suggested).
Quality white T Shirts.
Long cardigans not short.
Soft cashmere sweater.
Thin pretty scarves to soften the neck.
Black wrap around dress
White shirt.
Blazer or similar type jacket.
Traditional style overcoat or long duffle coat.

4 pairs of footwear.

Comfortable trainer type shoes such as converses.
Short Boots.
Comfortable flat shoes.
Sandles (for summer)
A pair of black heeled shoes for more dress occasions if one can wear them.

They then go on to give advice about colours and style.  What can be worn and what should be avoided etc.  Basically telling you how to dress.

I found it really informative and spent a good couple of hours reading up over there.

I discovered that basically I do sometimes buy sensibly but actually on a daily basis mostly dress like a bag lady.  My long skirts will have to go, lol.

Today I am going to...
1)  Clean out, sort and rearrange my cleaning storage (did my food and crocks cupboards yesterday).
2)  Take the DVDs I no longer want over to the library part of the "Big House" to donate to them.
3)  Sort out my CDs for keeping and throwing.
4)  Washing machine load of clothes.
5)  Sort out and put photos from boxes into albums (did some of that yesterday)
6)  Go through my undies and throw away all that should have been thrown away months ago.
7)  Make a start on playing at making a Travellers Notebook.

I might do the photos this evening while watching tele.  It's not a fun job.

Quote:  "The thing about smart people is that they seem like crazy people to dumb people" Stephen Hawking.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/zandranna https://whistle-n-scoot.blogspot.com/ https://zandranna.blogspot.com/ https://gab.ai/Zandranna
TaraLynn7
Amethyst Member
Amethyst Member

US
Kudos : 7
Birthday : 07/04/

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   04/10/18, 03:21 pm

Good morning! 

I was skimming through trying to catch up, and I was confused. Dancing at the Big House?  Here in the states, the big house is a prison, so it caught me for a minute.  I laughed realizing that is not what you meant at all but I had a mental picture of you dancing with prisoners.  Now there is plenty of men there to dance with, although they would hold you even closer, ewww...LOL  

Mother is continuing to heal, she is starting to get agitated, which means she is feeling better. However that also means we get "old mom" back, she isn't always so nice.  But I think she will need us kids a lot for the rest of her life now, so maybe she will stay nice enough.  First time in my 62 yrs of hearing how important we are to her.   My sister moved 2 1/2 hours away my brother loves 30 min away, so he is around, but it leaves it mostly to me and my hubby.  He is so good with her.  She is being aggravated by the collar but I think she has to wear it for 6 more weeks.  She doesn't think so. I really hate that for her, it looks so uncomfortable and she cannot have a pillow to lay on.   

So I finally got to go back to swimming/exercise so that is nice.  I have to peel myself out of bed to go but once there I enjoy it and its so good for me.   Eye Dr tomorrow and I cannot wait. Since the cataract surgery its gotten fuzzy again and I think its dry eye.  I suffered before with it, and then once she prescribed the drop at night for glaucoma the dry eye went away.  She told me to not use that drop in my eye since she lasered it but its too painful when I don't use it. We shall see what she says about all of that. 

Cool here today, but yesterday was 90F+, a record breaker for October here. 

The grand-girls are doing well.  The oldest is playing the clarinet in the school band. She also takes Ti-Kwan-do classes.   The younger one tried it and didn't care for it.  She stays with Grammy when they go  LOL   The baby of the family is growing like a weed, she is going to be tall.  She finally starting pooping in the potty. Woo,  it took a long time.   She peed since she was 3 but would hide and poop her pants.   She will be 4 in January.   Talk well too.  

So that's my news, I hope you all are doing well.

Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Taralynn7 http://tarasbakingagain.blogspot.com/
Geru
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

Name : Hannelore
CA
Birthday : february 12th

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   05/10/18, 04:13 am

Just dropping in to read all the news ,   will post another time , to tired today . Hello to Sandy, Whisper, Tara, 

Have a great evening all .
Back to top Go down
Whisper
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   05/10/18, 07:50 am

Good morning everyone. Grocery shopping to do this morning but then the day is my own to fritter away as I please. No idea how that will be as yet.

My brother e-mailed some very basic info Sandy but I'll try and find out a bit more and about his daughter's scooter too. He did say hers was very expensive and she was lucky to get it at a reasonable price from a friend of her sister's. I'll send you the bit he did tell me. lol
Back to top Go down
Geru
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

CA

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   05/10/18, 07:03 pm

Heavy overcast here, and raining, but not heavy so far .9c but rising to 12c  that feels like 10c .... lol , another word... it's chilly feeling , not sure if I will venture out in this today , but I will see .
 It's Thanksgiving long weekend here , and the stores are  busier then usual it seems,Turkeys are selling like hot cakes .   dance

Sandy:  You sound so organized , my goodness , hats off to you .!!   Got a chuckle of you dancing instead of sorting ...., now that sounds like a good idea .... lol . Nice idea about the clothes ect, I can't part with a thing .... lol just in case ... lol , but indeed one should make room . I have given so much away  over the year, it's pathetic . Good luck with finding all the right things and sizes , specially the Bra's       And good luck with the scooter , save your pennies they say here .

Tara: nice to hear from you :   Yes the BIG HOUSE  ... lol, I was wondering about that too, as here it's a Prison too. .different strokes for different folks in different  lands  I guess .
Your poor mom, a collar?, no pillow to sleep on ?  now how does that  work? . Yes, she will be cranky for sure...how is that smoking going now , has she stopped so you can visit with her?   You have your work cut out for you by the sound of it , your mom is a lucky lady I tell you .

And... about your dry eyes ?  that is a side affect of laser surgery for many many people .Sure hope you get the right meds for it , dry eyes hurt .
Sound like the grand-girls are all doing well, and growing like weeds, I got a chuckle out of the EB's poop story ...lol,  how great she has finally got that down .

Whisper:  have a great time having fun with the spare time today, 
Have a great day everyone .
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   06/10/18, 09:30 am

Haha.  I had to chuckle at your references to our Big House and prison.  Back in the day, the Lord of the Manor's house was usually refered to as The Big House by those that were living and working in that manor, as in, or on, all the land that belonged to the Lord.  1) I was brought up very Victorian because of my Grandmother's influent over the whole "large" family.  2) From the age of seven I was an avid reader and a lot of my reading incorporated Victorian authors along with other historical novels.  So the old terms and references have always been part of my mind set.  Our Big House on this estate of ours was built and owned by the Lord that owned a vast amount of the land and village here.  So to me, and the other oldies that live here, it is The Big House.  Although many of them just call it The House.

Your poor Mum Tara.  I hope that six weeks speed by for her. 

Thanks for that info on the scooters Wendy.  It was nice of you to find out and so nice of your Brother to take the time to e-mail it to you.  Looks like we have a little mobility scooter club going here, lol.

Aimee suggested last week that her and I meet up once a week for lunch or something to discuss the various information each of us have found out regarding the history of ancient stories, mine from a Biblical view and her's from Greek, Roman, Norse or whatever view, and how they all link together.  I said to her jokingly, that could be the start of us setting up a Women of Letters club.  If any of you are Supernatural fans you will easily understand that reference being from their "Men of Letters" lol.

Last time we were together we covered the story of The Tower of Babel.  It's all good fun.

My sorting out is going terrifically well.  The flat looks a mess as I am using plastic tubs to sort things in which is emptying out cupboards, drawers, wardrobes etc, but the tubs are all over the floor now.  I've also changed my mind on a couple of things by way of storing which should work out even better.  Trial and error so far.

Charlie came in for tea yesterday and he had my scooter in his van.  He had picked it up from the societies shed/garage and was taking it home to check it out, polish it up etc.  I went out to have a look see.  It's an old one, a gorgeous blue metalic, but in good nick.  I'm sure he will do a wonderful job on it.  I'm so hoping it will turn out good enough to last me a good while.  The longer it lasts me the more time I will have to save up for a top of the range one.

With all this sorting I haven't really had time to have much of a play at creating a Travellers Journal, but I have tested out the best way to make the individual notebooks that go inside.

Back to top Go down
Whisper
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   07/10/18, 09:29 am

Sounds like it will be perfect for seeing whether you actually get along with a scooter Sandy. They're too expensive to buy and then find out you hate them. I remember my MIL many years ago had one but we had to get rid of it in the end. She had bad arthritis in her hands and had had several strokes so couldn't use the accelerator or brake properly. She'd go nowhere and then suddenly shoot forward into the nearest garden gate or lamppost. lol We tried for quite a while but she was a liability.

I had no internet for about 28 hours over Fri/Sat and I didn't like it. I don't mind being away from the computer but only when I decide to be. I hate when the connection suddenly goes when I'm in the middle of something. I did read an entire book yesterday though which is something I haven't done for a long time. I usually only read in bed these days.

Easy to fix once the engineer did arrive but a mystery as to how it happened. The cable to my house from the main box outside had been pulled out. Since the box is locked and only the engineers can open it it's a bit odd. I can only assume an engineer had been connecting someone else or something and not noticed he'd knocked it out. I didn't see one of their vans around at the time but then I wasn't watching for one. The up side is I got a free upgrade of my super hub at the same time. It's a few years old and although there was nothing wrong with it he insisted I was entitled to a new one.
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   07/10/18, 09:46 am

Very strange about your internet Wendy.  I wonder what caused it.  But nice job on getting an upgrade.  I can't remember having any internet troubles since the days of dial up.  Then we were lucky not to go a full day without problems, lol.  But in those days we did have AOL.

Yeah, mobiblity scooters rarely have an actual handbrake.  One has to stop by releasing the accelerator, which of course takes a second to actual stop the scooter which means it's really hard to judge when to take your hand off the accelerator.  Whereas with a hand brake like on a bike the stopping is instant.

When I had a mobility scooter for a really short time, as in like for a week or such, it did my head in trying to learn to stop without a handbrake.  That was the only reason I sold it directly and got my electric trike instead.  If it hadn't had been for no manual control over a brake I would never have got rid of it and bought the trike.  I can't for the life of me figure out why no hand brake as well as it being programmed to stop via no acceleration.  Give people the choice.

I think now though, some of the really expensive ones have hand brakes.  Not sure though.  That would be an interesting question to ask Brother and/or Niece me thinks.

Now however, I "have" to learn to use one really, as I am not at all comfortable on the trike anymore.  But as you say, freeby first is brilliant even if it is only a 6mph one.  Beggars can't be choosers.  And the longer I can put up with 6mph the longer I will have to save for a beaut.

I've still got loads to do with rearranging.  Last night and early this morning though, I had a real tidy up of organising the tubs of stuff into various parts of the room.  Get rid of's, Not sure's, and Keep to find places for.  The room was in chaos before, so a tidy up to see the wood for the trees before I carried on was needed.

I'm hoping that by getting rid of the wardrobes I will be able to fit in a desk.  I hate having my laptop on my table as I have to keep pushing all my clutter to one side when I want to eat.  I gather a lot around me and the comp.

Back to top Go down
Geru
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

CA

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   07/10/18, 09:14 pm

Heavy overcast and raining here today , yesterday was nice , and took advantage , went for two walks 
and ran errands on the way.  

This space is reserved .... for  the daily special ......lol ,  extra.... extra, read all about it ...... 

Sandy:You sure sound like a busy busy lady , but I guess you will have more room when all is finally done and all organized  I lived in the woods you might say...for years , and was looking forward to living in the big city  with my fancy clothes ... ha ha ha,  , up in the woods country is where  they have fun  , where the older and the younger  mix  just because there was nothing else to do I guess . And they kept regular hrs for sleeping and playing up there, but not here .
Guess you and Aimee have a good thing going with conversation subjects, good for you . My niece here is in to kids and dogs and fishing hunting and her job , so I am done with all that ... lol  , but she is also very very busy with her family and full time job  . But.. then I am not much of a history fan , my dad was great at it , it was our dinner conversation every day ,listen and like it .... lol .
Thanks for explaining about the big House .... interesting .

Whisper:  Just goes to show you how addicted we all are to the computer and TV, that includes me, the computer is my window in to the world . But ... sure is not nice to read the bad news all the time , I try and skip that , but you can't always .  glad you are back in running order .

Got to get going and move a dresser  if I can .
Back to top Go down
Kerri
Topaz Member
Topaz Member

Name : Kerri
Kudos : 10
Birthday : July 22

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   08/10/18, 01:09 am

Hello Everyone.

Chilly Autumn weather here.
But the yellow and gold leaves on the trees are so pretty.
The wild sumac is burgundy/dark purple.
And I have bright orange pumpkins sunning themselves on our patio.

Sandy, 
Wonderful that you are getting rid of unneeded things.
I want to do a seasonal sorting and cleaning of closets
but don't have the energy/ambition yet.

It was my daughter's birthday, 
so I brought her a gift and
spent some time with her.

Had Tater-tot hotdish for a late dinner.
Added jalapeno peppers to spice it up some.

Hi Wendy. Hi Martha. Hi Geru. Hi Tara. Hi Elaine.

Have a great rest of the day!
Back to top Go down
Whisper
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   08/10/18, 08:02 am

I'll try and remember to ask about the handbrake when I see him tomorrow Sandy.

I'm not actually addicted to my computer Geru although I do spend way too much time on it. I'm quite happy to be away from it at times of my choosing. I hate when a fault decides for me. lol

Hi Kerri. Turning chilly here now too. We had our first proper frost yesterday morning. The leaves are starting to turn and a few have already started falling.
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   08/10/18, 09:25 am

I have been through times when I've thought I was addicted to my comp, but now realise it all depends on what else, if anything, is going on in my life.  For instance, in the Yuku days, designing the profiles and board skins, was like a hobby and I then spent a vast amount of time on the computer. Same with my researching.  I have to be on the computer to research.  But when I go through my dressmaking, Filofax, or other obsessions for my hobbies, I simply sometimes forget to even turn the computer on.   Even a good boxset or recorded full series of programmes can keep me off the computer for days.

So the up shot I've decided is, that I am not, and never have been addicted to the computer, but more I get obsessed with whatever I am interested in at the time, and sometimes that obsession requires me to be on the computer for hours/days at a time.

I hope your Daughter had a wonderful birthday Kerri.

I didn't do a full day of working on the organising yesterday, I was too tired from the previous days.  Now I have collected several tubs of getting rid of's, I have to actually get rid of it all out of the flat so will spend the next couple of days doing that.

I have left my clothes until last and will make a start on those putting aside the ones I'm not sure of so that Jess will help me choose between those if she finds time to come over.

I have a feeling though that even though I have been ruthless, there will always be things I will have to store under the bed as well because of what they are, such as my spare fold down chairs for the dining table, and of not having the room for the type of storage space they need, ie: cupboard, shed or whatever.

Charlie is meant to be coming in today to put up my bathroom cabinet and long shelf.  Getting those up will make a big difference.  Up until now one of the wardrobes have been doubling up for storing stuff that really belonged in other rooms, which included my towels and other bathroom bits.

Once I have no more overflow of stuff and I can get rid of the wardrobes I will be able to figure out what I actually want my bedroom to look like.

Back to top Go down
karinsuezen28
Amethyst Member
Amethyst Member

CA
Kudos : 5

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   08/10/18, 02:01 pm

good morning all

susan
Back to top Go down
Geru
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

CA

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   08/10/18, 08:46 pm

Heavy overcast here , and lightly raining , same is forecast for tomorrow  guess the rain gear will come in handy now .

I think computers are a great invention , but I hear they are going out of style ? I got a phone call advising me of this ...... lol lol ,    I JUST HUNG UP  !!!  More and more folks just use tablets and such , they take them with them where ever they go  . I admit ....technology can be a pain if it goes on the fritz  .  I find the computer entertaining , a hobby for me . Just think, when I retired I did not know how to type , so with the help of a disk I learned  to touch type at my ripe old age ,and I like typing believe it or not , it keeps the brain active too  , and the fingers nimble . I can use it to read  and, research anything I want . I am mostly interested in to medical readings  . I can download books on my kindle app , so .... for someone like me , computers are great  . My youngest son handed me a computer on my retirement  , it was bewildering to me at first , but I learned fast . 

Sandy: just where will you put all the stuff you want to get rid of now  ?  You sound like you are having a great time with it all , more power to you , you need the  room I know . Hope Charlie will get your Bathroom shelf and cabinet all installed for you , that will help , you are so lucky to have him around I tell you .  

hi Kerri, Hi Susan,
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   08/10/18, 11:26 pm

When I was young I had to take typing lessons.  Now everyone, including the men type.  It's amazing.  I'm not sure if there is anyone teaching typing now as everyone is learning the moment they get a comp.

Now that I have got a lot of stuff sorted ready to get rid of I have started putting some of it outside in the hallway in our residents sharing area.  Just putting out a few bits at a time so that it doesn't get too cluttered out there in one go. 

I've put two lots out so far and they have already gone.  Will put more out tomorrow.

Aimee and her friend Richard popped in this afternoon for a short while for her to look through the box of spiritual type bits I was getting rid of.  She took most of them.  I thought she would.

I had to chuckle.  Someone had put two half filled family sized bottles of coke a cola out in the share area.  Funnily enough I do want an empty bottle, and was going to ask Sarah to save me one of hers.  I don't drink fizzy so never buy bottles of it.  I want to make a container to hold spare re-usable carrier bags in.  So I grabbed one.   The cola however just went down the sink.

I have left my clothes until last and will make a start on those putting aside the ones I'm not sure of so that Jess will help me choose between those if she finds time to come over.

I have a feeling though that even though I have been ruthless, there will always be things I will have to store under the bed as well because of what they are, such as my spare fold down chairs for the dining table, and of not having the room for the type of storage space they need, ie: cupboard, shed or whatever.

Once I have no more overflow of stuff and I can get rid of the wardrobes I will be able to figure out what I actually want my bedroom to look like.

I have been thinking today of whether I want to go back to Ballroom dancing tomorrow.  The first lesson two weeks ago wasn't encouraging at all.

I rang the office today to try to get a space in one of the cycle sheds for my trike as the scooter will need to be in the electric sheds.  Unfortunately there are no spaces but Elizabeth tells me that they are sorting out a new way of storing cycles as so many people want them now and can I get back to her in about a month.  In the meantime I'm going to have to put it under my window with a cover over it.   Bummer!  But will probably be selling it anyway if the scooter works out.

Hi Susan.

Back to top Go down
Elaine
Emerald Member
Emerald Member

Name : NutBar
CA
Kudos : 43
Mood : Introspective
Birthday : October 1

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   09/10/18, 03:52 am

Good evening Smile
I think I can say I am addicted to the internet. If I didn't have it distracting me I am sure I would get back into creating fine art. Lately, I've been feeling inspired but I keep letting the computer take up all my spare time. There are also some books I should have finished reading by now  Shocked
I recently made a large donation of used and new items to our local Value Village. I usually end up regretting some things but mostly it is good for me and I like to support Value Village.
Thanksgiving dinner for Roomie turned out well. I don't eat that kind of food, so I'd made some veggie dishes for me but by the time his meal was done I was too tired to eat. Today I feel a bit concerned that I might be coming down with a head cold so I made some spicy Butternut Squash soup with lots of fresh ginger, garlic and red chilis. 
My nose isn't dripping right now but my throat still feels tight and dry. oh! I spoke too soon. There goes my nose again LOL 
I'll hit the hay early again tonight.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/@togonit http://canadianforumchat.freeforums.net/
Whisper
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   09/10/18, 08:37 am

Good morning. Another chilly but sunny start to the day. I'm doing a few necessary chores and then going to visit my brother.

I'd be hopeless at the decluttering game. I don't need a lot of the stuff I have but I'm attached to it nevertheless. I try and be ruthless whenever I move house but that's about it. If I didn't have the space for it all I'd probably get more brutal.
Back to top Go down
Geru
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

CA

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   09/10/18, 06:38 pm

The sun is out , 12c right now, streets are still wet .

Nothing much new here today ... except ....*. exta extra .....read all about it ....*  lkkdfpoevvm'rors 

Elaine, good to see you, take care  of that drippy nose .....lol , hope you feel better soon , rest up good 

I don't see a value village around here, but they have big Brother and the Diabetic association call you and hound you for stuff you don't want  . Once you give it seems they never stop . We also have huge bins you can drop stuff off in  , shoes and clothes mostly , the bins have shoots  and can't be robbed and are put there by the Legion or Lyons clubs  etc think .

Whisper; Enjoy the visit with your brother .

Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   09/10/18, 09:26 pm

Hi Elaine, so sorry to hear you aren't well again.  Get better soon.

I must admit that there are things that I would never have got rid of if I hadn't downsized so dramatically over this last 9 years.  Books especially.  I loathed getting rid of those.

Charlie came today and put up both my new bathroom cabinet and a shelf along the back wall.  This is going to make a big difference for me.

I will no longer have to store dog pee pads under the bed, towels in my wardrobe, bathroom stores in a kitchen cupboard or bathroom toiletries in my bedroom.  All that can now go into the room that they are used in.

That's the bathroom and sitting room all sorted.  I just now have to get the bedroom organised.  The kitchen is sort of done but there are a few ideas I have for that also.  But will get to that at a later date.

I'm so tired now after working so hard for these last days and during them had three really bad nights.  I need a bit of a rest from it all, but I am worried about resting as I might never start again.  Plus I am having great fun sorting it all out.  I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I now only have a tub full of 9 seasons of Stargate DVDs to get rid of, two bales of green material to take back to Beverley as I really can't see myself using it, and a brand new, worn once, pair of high heeled sandals to go too.  I bought the sandals for either Sarah's or Conor's wedding.  I can't remember which.  Probably Sarah's. 

Once that all goes it leaves the sitting room nice and clear ready for a good clean.  Then I can make a start on sorting my clothes.  I might have to do that by myself as Jess is working a lot of hours and just doesn't have much free time.

Back to top Go down
Whisper
Ruby Member
Ruby Member

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   10/10/18, 10:19 am

I know what you mean about wanting to keep the momentum going once you start. I'm the same. If I take a couple of days off I'm very reluctant to get started with things again.

Sandy my brother said he likes his scooter better than his daughter's even though hers is a posh one. Hers doesn't fit into his house because it's huge. Probably not relevant if yours will be stored outside. He upgraded to his current one mainly for the hills. The old one really struggled on a lot of them. He said that one did have a handbrake but unlike a bike one it was very slow to respond. You had to really heave on it so he rarely used it. His current one doesn't have one at all but he reckons it responds much faster when you ease off the accelerator. He didn't think you'd take long to adapt to it.

He also suggested you look on e-bay and other sites for refurbished ones. They're often better than the new ones if they've been restored by reputable companies and the prices are obviously substantially cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner

UK

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   10/10/18, 08:28 pm

Oh My Goodness!  I now have a mobility scooter.  Totally free.

Charlie brought it over for me today.  It's very old and only does 6mph but has cleaned up a treat.  Charlie checked it all out for me, blew off the cobwebs and cleaned it up.  We aren't however, yet sure of how new, or old, the batteries are.  So for the time being I am not going to go a distance on it until I'm certain the batteries are good enough to get me there and back again.  The basket on the front is a bit crap and discoloured but as it's so small I would be changing it anyway.

I've just got back from a 10 minute ride around on it.  Checked that it did do the speed it was built for by using a speedometer app on my phone, and practiced at riding it without causing it, or me, any damage.  I must take a photo of it tomorrow to add to this post.  I was so busy playing with it that I forgot I would want a photo and it's now getting dark out there.

I'm so pleased with it.

Thanks for that info Wendy.  I have to say that I too will want one that doesn't struggle with the hills when I get a new one.  I never thought that some might be better at hills than others.  I assumed that all 8pmh ones would be the same on hills as the other.  Good bit of info that.

I sorted out my underwear and bits today.  Putting them into different containers rather than the drawers and then put those on the shelving unit where all my fold down clothing is eventually going to go.  Charlie is going to make me two extra shelves for that, which will be ample for my needs.

I think I am going to have to try to decide what to keep and what to throw of my other clothing by myself as Jess hasn't been in touch, which means she can't have any time off from work to come and help me.  I really want to be ruthless with my hanging clothes.

Back to top Go down
Geru
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

CA

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   11/10/18, 04:00 am

Just a quick drop in to say hello , better late then never , got kind of side tracked today with paper work , got to keep at it .   

Sandy;  wow   , how nice , you already got the scooter .... and even tried it out ?   well, you have fun with it , and hope it lasts for a bit  . Did Charlie give the battery a charge ?  If it's been sitting for long then it might die out on you , running it will help charge the battery I would think .
That Charlie is coming in handy I tell you , maybe you should make real good friends with him ? Good men are hard to find now days they say .   A nice new basket will be helpful and even spruce it up some more . Then sit your self  on it , and put on a big fancy hat ..... and away you go .

Hello to you Whisper   .

See you all later .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Autumn Chatter   

Back to top Go down

Autumn Chatter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zan's Zone :: Now We're Buzzing - Members Only :: Coffee Break-
Jump to: